At a Glance
- Approximate Street Address: 8390 Meinert Road, Montague, MI 49437
- There are no trails leading through this rugged dune property. Steep, forested ridges are interwoven with narrow valleys. Tucked in the dune hills are wetlands and a small pond.
- Trail length: no trail.
- For more information, visit Muskegon County Parks and Recreation.
What to See
Outdoor enthusiasts and beachgoers treasure Meinert Park for its Lake Michigan shoreline, undeveloped dunes, and impressive views. High ridges provide views of Lake Michigan and the wetlands. A pond at the base of the wooded dunes creates habitat diversity and attract ducks, herons, kingfishers, and other wildlife. At this time there are no marked trails through most of the property. Hiking is strenuous and a topographic map or GPS is needed to navigate through dune land.
The natural area that was added to the park consists of rugged, forested, parabolic dunes and wetlands. It is a sanctuary for migratory birds that travel up the Great Lakes flyway as well as resident wildlife.
Known in the early 1900s as “Huston’s Landing,” this property, logged at the turn of the previous century, became a favorite picnic spot for schools and families in the area.
In 1936, the lakefront section of the property was purchased by Muskegon County to establish a park which was named Meinert County Park after Ed Meinert, the supervisor of White River Township at the time. An additional 88 acres was added to the park in 1957 with the acquisition of the “Sugar Bowl” dune.
In 2010, the Land Conservancy worked with Muskegon County and the Dekker and Rottman families to protect and add 95 acres of undeveloped and rugged dune habitat to the park. This addition more than doubled the size of the park.
Meinert County Park is located on Lake Michigan north of Montague at the end of Meinert Road. Take U.S. 31 to the Fruitvale Road Exit, go right (west) on Fruitvale Road to Old 31, turn right (north) and follow Old 31 one (1) mile to Meinert Road, turn left (west). The park entrance is approximately 5 miles at Lake Michigan.